An article from

'The Topographical, Statistical, and Historical Gazetteer of Scotland'

Published by A.Fullarton and Co. - 1848

Arran

ARRAN,(1) an island in the frith of Clyde, forming part of the shire of Bute. It lies in the mouth of the frith, or in the centre of the large bay of the Northern channel formed by the peninsula of Kintyre on the west, and the Ayrshire coast on the east; from the former it is distant about 6 miles, and is separated by the sound of Kilbrannan ; from the latter, the average distance is about 13 miles, and the channel betwixt them is distinguished from the sound on the west of the island as being the frith of Clyde. From the island of Bute on the north, the least distance is 5 miles. Its greatest length, from the Cock of Arran, on the north, to the Struey rocks on the south, is about 26 miles ; and the greatest breadth, from Clachland's point on the east, to Drimodune point on the west, is 12 miles, (2) The general outline is that of an irregular ellipse, little indented by bays or inlets. The largest indentation is that of Lamlash bay betwixt Clachland's point and King's cross point, on the east coast. Loch Ranza, near the Cock, or northern extremity of the island, is a very small inlet. Brodick bay, a little to the north of Lamlash bay, between Corriegill point on the south, and Merkland point on the north, affords good anchorage in about o fathoms water, but little shelter to vessels, especially in a north-east gale. Including the islet of Pladda on the south, and Holy isle in the mouth of Lamlash bay, the area of Arran is about 100,000 Scots acres, of which 11,179 are arable, and 613 are under plantations. There is also a considerable extent of natural coppice-wood on the northwest and north-east coast. The south end of the island is remarkably destitute of any thing approaching to plantation, and even of copsewood.

The island of Arran is divided into five principal districts: viz., Brodick, Lamlash, Southend, Shiskin, and Loch Ranza.

The Brodick district is that portion of the island most frequently visited by tourists, and most generally resorted to for sea-bathing. It lies around the bay of the same name, and extends northwards to South Sannox. Its northern part is composed of the towering Goatfell, and its brother-mountains; and the beautiful glens or mountain-ravines called Glen Rosa or Rossie, Glen Sherrig, Glen Shant, and Glen Cloy, occur here. The base of the mountains here approaches close to the sea, so that the full effect of their altitude—which in Goatfell is 2,865 feet (3) - imposes itself on the eye of the spectator from the

sea or beach, while they are constantly varying their appearance, as seen from any quarter, under the accidents of weather, light, and shade. The lower part of Goatfell is composed of red sandstone; then follows mica-slate, which is surmounted by a pyramidal mass of granite. The view from the summit embraces the coast of Ireland from Fairhead to Belfast loch; and the mountains of Isla, Jura, and Mull. The ascent may be accomplished, with the aid of a guide, in about two hours; and is best achieved from the inn at Brodick. The natives call this mountain Gaodh Bhein, or Ben-Ghaoit, that is 'the Mountain of Winds.' To the eye of a spectator on the summit of Goatfell—which is the loftiest peak in this granitic district—the neighbouring mountains present a wild assemblage of bare ridges, yawning chasms, abrupt precipices, and every fantastic form of outline,

while the profound gulfs between them are darkened by eternal shadow.—On the north side of Brodick bay, adjoining the village, is the castle of Brodick, one of the seats of the duke of Hamilton. It is an old irregular pile of building, of secluded aspect, but in good repair. Mr. Galbraith has recently ascertained its position to be in N. lat. 55° 35' 45"; W. long. 5° 10' 42". The grounds around it are well-wooded ; and the majestic heights of Goatfell, and Bennish [2,598 feet], rise in the immediate background. This stronghold was surprised by James Lord Douglas, Sir Robert Boyd, and other partizans of Bruce in 1306, demolished in 1456, rebuilt by James V., and garrisoned by Cromwell. Cromwell's garrison, to the number of 80 men, it is traditionally related, were surprised and cut off by the natives.— On the opposite side of the bay, and at about one mile's distance from the sea, in Glen Cloy, is Kilmichael, the seat of John Fullarton, Esq., whose immediate ancestors received this estate, and a farm on the west side of the island, from Robert Bruce, for services rendered to him

while in concealment in this island. Martin says : " If tradition be true, this little family is said to be of seven hundred years standing. The present possessor obliged me with the sight of his old and new charters, by which he is one of the king's coroners within this island, and as such, he hath a halbert peculiar to his office ; he has his right of late from the family of Hamilton, wherein his title and perquisites of coroner are confirmed to him and his heirs. He is obliged to have three men to attend him upon all public emergencies, and he is bound by his olfice to pursue all malefactors, and to deliver them to the steward, or in his absence to the next judge. And if any of the inhabitants refuse to pay their rents at the usual term, the coroner is bound to take him personally, or to seize his goods. And if it should happen that the coroner with his retinue of three men is not sufficient to put his office in execution, then he summons all the inhabitants to concur with him ; and

immediately they rendezvous to the place, where he fixes his coroner's staff. The perquisites due to the coroner are a firlot or bushel or oats, and a lamb from every village in the isle; both which are punctually paid him at the ordinary terms." [' Description of the Western Islands.']

Fergus Mac-Louis, or Fullarton's, charter is dated Nov. 26, 1307.

A number of cottages and villas are scattered along Brodick bay, which is becoming a favourite watering place during the summer. Dr. Macculloch speaks of it in terms of unwonted rapture. " Every variety of landscape," he says, "is united in this extraodinary spot. The rural charms of the ancient English village, unrestricted in space and profuse of unoccupied land, are joined to the richness of cultivation and contrasted with the wildness of moorland and rocky pasture. On one hand is the wild mountain torrent, and on another, the tranquil river meanders through the rich plain. Here the sea curls on the smooth beach, and there it foams against a rocky shore, or washes the foot of the high and rugged cliffs, or the skirts of the wooded hill. The white sails of boats are seen passing and repassing among trees,— the battlements of the castle, just visible, throw an air of ancient grandeur over the woods, and, united to this variety, is all the sublimity and all the rudeness of the

Alpine landscape which surrounds and involves the whole. ['Highlands and Western Isles,' vol. ii. p. 29.] There is regular steam-communication between Brodick and the port of Ardrossan in Ayrshire daily during summer ; but this route to Glasgow is circuitous, and there is a want of direct daily communication with that city, steamers proceeding to Arran twice a week. These latter boats generally make Brodick bay in about 6 or 7 hours, and, after discharging passengers, proceed round to Lamlash bay, where they lie during the night, returning to Brodick for passengers at an early hour next morning.

Lamlash district, to the south of Brodick district, has but a small extent of plantation within it, and no hills exceeding 1,200 feet in altitude. The village is in the form of a crescent facing the bay and the Holy isle, and backed by wooded heights, beyond which the green and rounded summits of the hills in this district are seen. The church is at the southern extremity of the village, which is 4½ miles distant from Brodick, and 4 miles north of Whiting bay. See article KILBRIDE. - "The bay of Lamlash," says Headrick, "may be about 3 miles, in a right line, from its northern to its southern entrance; and at its centre it forms a sort of semicircle of nearly 2 miles across, having the Holy isle on one side, and the vale of Lamlash on the other. The northern wing projects nearly towards north-east, while the southern projects nearly towards south-east, giving to the whole a figure approaching to that of a horseshoe, which prevents the waves of the ocean from

getting into the interior bay. The two inlets may be about a quarter of a mile in breadth at their mouths, and widen gradually as they approach the central bay. The southern inlet is preferred by mariners, because here there is no danger but what, is seen. The northern inlet is equally safe to those who know it: but the tails of rocks we have described as projected from Dun-Fioun, and the gradual decrease of altitude of the rocks on the opposite point of Holy isle, cause them to extend a considerable way below the sea, before they sink out of the reach of vessels drawing a great depth of water. But to those who know the channel, there is sufficient depth, at both entrances, for the largest ships of the line. Within, there is good

holding-ground ; sufficient depth for the largest ships; and room enough for the greatest navy to ride at anchor. In fact, this is one of the best harbours in the frith of Clyde,—if not in the world. In front of the village dutchess Ann — who seems to have been a woman of superior capacity—caused a harbour to be built of large quadrangular blocks of sandstone. We may form some idea of the magnitude and solidity of this work, when informed that it cost £2,913 10s. 5 4/12d sterling, at a time when masons' wages are said to Lave been 8d., and labourers' wages 4d. per day. It is a great pity this building was allowed to be demolished ; because its ruins render the village of more difficult access from the sea, than if it had never been constructed.' ['View,' pp. 88—91.] This harbour has now nearly disappeared ; a great part of the stones have been carried off to build the new quay a few hundred yards to the north, and the sand has buried a part. "The Holy isle is interesting," says Macculloch, " as well for the beauty of its conical form, rising to 1,000 (4) feet, as for the view from its summit, and

the striking character of its columnar cliffs. The ascent is rendered peculiarly laborious; no less from the steepness and irregularity of the ground, than from the tangled growth of the Arbutus uva ursi by which it is covered. The whole surface scarcely bears any other plant than this beautiful trailing shrub; peculiarly beautiful when its bright scarlet berries are present to contrast with the rich dark green of its elegant foliage. The columnar cliffs, which lie on the east side, though having no pretensions to the regularity of Staffa, are still picturesque, and are free from the stiffness too common in this class of rock ; consisting of various irregular stages piled on each other, broken, and intermixed with ruder masses of irregular rocks, and with verdure and shrubs of humble growth. Beneath, a smooth and curved recess in a mass of sandstone, produces that species of echo which occurs in the whispering gallery of St. Paul's, and in other similar situations. There are no ruins now to be traced in Lamlash ; but Dean Monro says that it had 'ane monastery of friars,' founded by John, Lord of the Isles, ' which is decayit.' That was in 1594; and what was then decayed, has now disappeared. He calls the island Molass; and it is pretended that there was a cave,(5) or hermitage, inhabited by a Saint Maol Jos, who is buried at Shiskin, on the south side of Arran. It is further said that there was once a castle here, built by Somerlid." — King's Cross, in this district, which forms the dividing headland between Lamlash bay and Whiting bay, is said by some to have been the point from whence Robert Bruce watched for the lighting-up of the 'signal-flame' at Turnberry point, on the opposite coast of Ayrshire, which was to intimate to him that the way was clear for his making a descent on the Carrick coast. Other traditions—which are followed by Sir Walter Scott in his 'Lord of the Isles.' [See Canto V. st. 7 and 17.] — represent Bruce as first hailing the supposed signal, 'so flickering, fierce, and bright,' from the battlements of Brodick castle. See TURNBERRY.

Southend district stretching from Largybeg point, the southern extremity of Whiting bay, to Kilpatrick on Drimodune bay, is the most valuable district of the island in agricultural respects. There is here a belt of cultivated land, in some places of considerable breadth, between the shore and the secondary hills of the interior. The scenery is of a milder character than that of any other quarter of the island ; but there is no accommodation for bathers in this direction, the only houses being a few farm-hamlets and scattered shielings, and the beach being rocky. This district is intersected by two main rivulets, viz. the Torlin or Torrylin, towards the east, and the water of Sliddery towards the west. These streams run nearly parallel

to each other, from north-east to south-west, and receive numerous tributary streams in their progress from the secondary mountains towards the sea. Most of the other burns which flow into the sea are merely mountain-torrents, the beds of which are nearly dry except when they are swelled by excessive rains. These burns have cut deep chasms or ravines in the strata; and the main streams have frequently formed delightful valleys, though sometimes of small extent. Towards the head of Glen Scordel, from which the main branch of the water of Sliddery flows, and in several other places, there are vast veins of

whinstone, interspersed with innumerable particles of pyrites, which retain their full brilliancy, in spite of exposure to air and the astringent moss-water to the action of which they are subjected. " These," says Headrick, "the people are confident in the belief of being gold ; and I confess I was a little staggered, until my ingenious friend, Dr. Thomson, by analyzing a specimen, assured me that the gold was neither more nor less than pyrites of iron!!—The islet of Pladda lies opposite Kildonan point in this division. See PLADDA. The ruins of Kildonan castle, a small square fortalice, surmount the sea-bank here, but present no historical associations of interest. A large portion of the walls fell about 10 years ago. — Auchinhew burn, in this quarter, presents, according to Headrick, in the upper part of its wild ravine course, a fall or cascade, called Essiemore. - The Struey rocks, further to the west, or Bennan head, are precipitous cliffs of black basalt rising to an altitude of from 300 to 400 feet above a beach thickly strewn with their dissevered fragments. A little to the west of these rocks is a vast cave called the Black cave.— The kirk and manse of Kilmorie are situated in this district, on

the Torrylin, where its mouth forms a small harbour for boats. See KILMORIE.

Shiskin district, so called from the little village or hamlet of Shiskin, or Shedog, is chiefly remarkable for the extensive natural caves which occur here in the sandstone rocks close upon the beach. One of these, called the King's cove, is supposed to have given shelter to 'the royal Bruce.' It is situated opposite Portree in Higher Cardel of Kintyre. ' It is also universally reputed to have been the occasional residence of Fioun,(6) or Fingal, when he resorted to Arran for the purpose of hunting. " The old people here," says Headrick, " have many ridiculous stories about Fioun and his heroes, which have been transmitted, from a remote period, by father to son,— in their progress becoming more and more extravagant. They believe Fioun and his heroes to have been giants of extraordinary size. They say that Fioun made a bridge from Kintyre to this place,

over which he could pass, by a few steps, from the one land to the other. But, what is esteemed ocular demonstration of the gigantic size of Fioun, and sufficient to overwhelm the most obstinate scepticism, the hero is said to have had a son born to him in the cave; and a straight groove, cut on the side of the cave, is shown, which is firmly believed to have been the exact length of the child's foot the day after he was born. The groove is more than 2 feet in length; and, taking the human foot to be one sixth of a man's height, it follows, the child must have been more than 12 feet high the day after he was born! The cave is scooped out of fine-grained white sandstone. A perpendicular vein of the same sandstone has stood in the centre, from which the strata dip rapidly on each side, forming the roof into a sort of Gothic arch, to which the vein above serves the purpose of a key-stone. At the back part of the cave, this vein comes down to the bottom, and forms a perpendicular column with a recess on each side. The northern recess is only a few feet. The southern is of uncertain extent, being gradually contracted in breadth, and nearly closed by rounded stones. The length of this recess is about 30 feet. From the pillar in the back-ground, to the mouth of the cave, exceeds 100 feet. The greatest breadth may be about 49 feet; and the greatest height the same. The mouth has been defended by a rampart of loose stones ; and stones are scattered through the cave which seem to have been used as seats. On the column there is a figure cut resembling a two-handed sword. Some think this was an exact representation of the sword of Fioun ; others of that of Robert Bruce. To me it appears to be neither one nor other, but a representation of the cross. It stands upon a rude outline representing a mountain, probably Mount Calvary. On each side there is a figure kneeling and praying towards the cross. The sides of the cave exhibit innumerable small figures equally rude, representing dogs chasing stags, and men shooting arrows at them. They also represent goats, sheep, cattle, and various other animals, though the figures are so rude, that it is seldom possible to ascertain what they represent." Mr Jamieson, [p. 125,] thinks these scratches were " made by idle fishermen, or smugglers." Macculloch calls them " casual scratches by idle boys." North of this cave are several smaller caves, which communicate with each other. One of these is called the King's kitchen, another his cellar, his larder, etc. On the south side there is a cave called the King's stable, presenting a larger area than the palace, as the cave of residence is called. The scene from the mouth of these caves, in a line summer-day, is very beautiful. And sweet it were to sit here —

                                    "When still and dim
     The beauty-breathing hues of eve expand ;
     When day's last roses fade on Ocean's brim,
     And Nature veils her brow, and chants her vesper-hymn."

The Blackwater, a considerable stream, here falls into Drimodune bay. A small harbour has been constructed at its mouth, which is the ferrying-place to Campbelton, and from which there is a road across the island, by Shedog, the western side of Craigvore, Corbie's craig, Glen Ture, and Glen Sherrig, to Brodick. - The Mauchry burn is another considerable stream descending from Glen Ture, and falling into Mauchry bay to the north of the King's cove. Pennant tells us that this river flows through a rocky channel, which, in one part has worn through a rock, and left so contracted a gap at the top as to form a very easy step across. " Yet not long ago," he adds, " a "poor woman in the attempt, after getting one foot over, was struck with such horror at the tremendous torrent beneath, that she remained for some hours in that attitude, not daring to bring her other foot over, till some kind passenger luckily came by and assisted her out of her distress!" The remaining or northern portion of the island forms the Loch Ranza district, extending from Auchnagallen, a little to the north of the Mauchry burn, round, by the Cock of Arran, to Corrie point on the east coast. This is a highly interesting district in point of scenery. The road by the shore presents a succession of beautiful views; and the village or hamlet of Loch Ranza itself is one of the most picturesque spots anywhere to be found in the western islands. It has a safe harbour formed by a natural inlet of the sea in the mouth of the valley or or glen. Pennant, who crossed over to this bay from the Argyle coast, says: "The approach was magnificent; a fine bay in front, about a mile deep, having a ruined castle near the lower end, on a low

far projecting neck of land, that forms another harbour, With a narrow passage ; but within has three fathom of water, even at the lowest ebb. Beyond is a little plain watered by a stream, and inhabited by the people of a small village. The whole is environed by a theatre of mountains ; and in the backgroud the serrated crags of Grianan-Athol soar above "—[Tour to the Western Isles, p. 191-2.] Lord Teignmouth who saw Loch Ranza under its winter-aspect says - 'In point of gloomy grandeur no British bay surpasses Loch Ranza. Dark ridges hem it in." We are quite sure that gloomy grandeur is not the common impression left by this scene on the eye and mind of the visitor. While residing here in summer we have often felt the beauty and truth of the sentiment conveyed in the bard's description of the approach of Bruce's little armament to this point of 'Arran s isle:'—

     "The sun, ere yet he sunk behind
     Ben-Ghoil, 'the Mountain of the Wind'
     Gave his grim peaks a greeting kind,
     And bade Loch Ranza smile.
     Thither their destined course they drew ;
     It seem'd the isle her monarch knew,
     So brilliant was the landward view,
     The ocean so serene ;
     Each puny wave in diamonds roll'd
     O'er the calm deep, where hues of gold
     With azure strove and green.
     The hill, the vale, the tree, the tower,
     Glow'd with the tints of evening's hour ;
     The beach was silver sheen ;
     The wind breathed soft as lover's sigh,
     And, oft renew'd, seem'd oft to die,
     With breathless pause between.
     O who, with speech of war and woes,
     Would wish to break the soft repose
     Of such enchanting scene!"

Glen Sannox in this district has been compared to the celebrated Glencoe. " It is," says Macculloch, " the sublime of magnitude, and simlicity, and obscurity, and silence. Possessing no water, except the mountain torrents, it is far inferior to Coruisk in variety ; equally also falling short of it in grandeur and diversity of outline. It is inferior too in dimensions, since that part of it which admits of a comparison, does not much exceed a mile in length. But, to the eye, that difference of dimension is scarcely sensible: since here, as in that valley, there is no scale by which the magnitude can be determined. The effect of vacancy united to vastness of dimension is the same in both: there is the same deception, at first, as to the space; which is only rendered sensible by the suddenness with which we lose sight of our companions, and by the sight of unheard torrents. Perpetual twilight appears to reign here, even at mid-day : a gloomy and grey atmosphere uniting, into one visible sort of obscurity, the only lights which the objects ever receive, reflected from rock to rock, and from the clouds which so often involve the lofty boundaries of this valley." No one should visit Arran without attempting to make themselves acquainted with the beauty of the coast-scenery from Brodick to Glen Sannox; and, if time permits, to travel from Sannox to Loch Ranza, through Glen Halmidel, the excursion will not be regretted - There is a small chapel at Loch Ranza, built about 60 years ago at the expense of the duke of Hamilton, on the boundary between Kilmorie and Kilbride parishes, but within the former parish. It is distant, by the road, about 24 miles from Kilmorie of Hamilton, bearing date, 1st April, 1710.

The climate of Arran is moist, but is considered mild and healthy. Sudden and heavy falls of rain ir. summer and autumn are its greatest disadvantages. Many greenhouse-plants stand the winter in the open air at Brodick castle, and at different villas along the coast. - There are no foxes, badgers, or weasels, in Arran; but the brown rat is very destructive. Red deer exist in the northern part of the island. Black and red grouse are abundant; and there are a few pheasants. Eagles are frequently seen here; we have ourselves in the course of a single day seen no less than four of these noble birds. Trout are numerous ; and fine sea-trout are occasionally taken in the Jorsa, and Loch Jorsa. Adders and snakes are said by Headrich to be very numerous, but we have seldom seen either species of reptile on this island. The botany of Arran is considered rich - The geognostic structure of this island has been elaborately examined by Professor Jamieson, in his ' Outline of the mineralogy of the Shetland islands, and the island of Arran.' The greater portion of the northern part of the island consists of primitive rocks; floetz rock constitutes the southern half. The Goatfell group is of granite. Holy isle consists of a mass of basalt. Porphyritic rocks are found at Lamlash, Drimodune, and some other places; and pitch-stone frequently occurs both in beds and veins.

The ecclesiastical statistics of Arran will be detailed under the articles KILBRIDE. and KILMORIE. There are six parochial schools in the island. The population, in 1801, was 5,179; in 1821, 6,541 ; in 1831, 6,427; and in 1841, 6,181. The decrease in the last decennial periods has been chiefly occasioned by the emigration of people, principally from Sannox district, to Lower Canada. - The proprietors of this island are the Duke of Hamilton, the Hon. Mrs. Westenra, and Fullarton of Kilmichael and Whitefarlane. The duke is by far the greatest proprietor. His grace's arable land, in 1813, was 10,228 Scots acres; and his present rental £10,000, arising from 458 farms or possessions. [See a valuable paper, by Mr. John Paterson, in the 'Prize-essays of the Highland Society,' vol. v. pp. 125-154.] We have already, in the course of this article, had occasion to notice the various traditions which exist in Arran respecting Fingal; and may now suggest that some of these may owe their origin to the early presence of the Norwegians, called Fiongall, or 'white foreigners,' by the Irish annalists. Somerled, thane of Argyle in the 12th century — whose name has also occurred in this article — appears to have been of Scoto-Irish descent. His father Gillibrede had possessions on the mainland of Argyle, probably in the district of Morvern. When yet a youth, Somerled signally defeated a band of Norse pirates; and, having obtained high reputation for his prowess and skill in arms, was enabled ultimately to assume the title of Lord or Regulus of Argyle, and to compel Godred of Norway to cede to him what were then called the South isles, namely, Bute, Arran, Islay, Jura, Mull, and the peninsula of Kintyre. On the death of Somerled, in 1164, Mr. Gregory conjectures that Arran was probably divided between his sons Reginald and Angus, and may have been the cause of the deadly feud which existed between them. ['History of the Western Highlands and Isles,' Edin. 1836'. vo. p. 17.] Angus, with his sons, fell in an engagement with the men of Skye in 1210; where upon Dugall, another son of Somerled, and the ancestor of the house of Argyle and Lorn, patronymically called Macdougal, succeeded to his possessions. It appears, however, that the kings of Norway continued to be acknowledged as the sovereigns of the Isles, until their final cession to the Scottish crown by Magnus of Norway, in July, 1266. Somerled's descendants now became vassals of the king of Scotland for all their possessions; but the islands of Man, Arran, and Bute, were annexed to the Crown. After the unfortunate battle of Methven, Robert Bruce lay for some time concealed, it is said, in Arran; and afterwards in the little island of Rachrin on the northern coast of Ireland, whence he again passed over to Arran with a fleet of 33 galleys, and 300 men, and joined Sir James Douglas, who, with a band of Bruce's devoted adherents, had contrived to maintain themselves in Arran, and to seize the castle of Brodick, then held by Sir John Hastings, an English knight; and here he projected his descent on the Carrick coast. On the marriage of the Princess Mary, eldest sister of James III., to Sir Thomas Boyd, eldest son of Lord Boyd, in 1466, the island of Arran was erected into an earldom in favour of Boyd; but upon the forfeiture of that family, the house of Hamilton rose upon its ruins; and, a divorce having been obtained, the Countess of Arran gave her hand to Lord Hamilton — to whom it had been promised in 1454 — and conveyed with it the earldom of Arran. [Tytler's History of Scotland,vol. iv. p. 227]


{1 Pronounced in Gaelic Arrinn. Dr. Macleod deduces this name from Ar, 'a land' or 'country,' and rinn, 'sharp points.' Hence Arrinn will signify 'the Island of sharp pinnacles:' an etymology far more satisfactory than that of Ar-fhin, 'the Land' or the 'Field of Fion,' ie. Fingal; or from Aran, 'bread,' as denoting extraordinary fertility, which is by no means a characteristic of this island.}

{2 Headrick estimates the length of this island, measuring from N. E. to S. W., at 34 or 35 miles ; and its breadth as varying from 15 to 20 miles. Mr. Jardine states its length to be only 21 miles, and its breadth 9. Professor Jamieson, in his ' Outline of the Mineralogy of Arran, 'estimates its length at 32, and breadth at 12 miles. The writer of the article Arran, in the 'Penny Cyclopædia,' vaguely estimates its length from near Loch Ranza, in the N.N.W., to Kildonan, in the S.S.E,, at "somewhat more than 20 miles; and its greatest breadth at 12." The Rev. Angus Macmillan, minister of Kilmorie, in his evidence before the Commissioners of Religious Instruction, [Report VIII. p. 470.,] states the greatest length of his parish to be upwards of 30 miles. The admeasurements in our text have been given after a careful examination and comparison of the best maps and reports on the island.}

{3 This is Dr. MacCulloch's admeasurement. Professor Play-fair estimates its height at 2,945; Mr. Galbraith at 2,863 feet}

{4 Mr. Burrel's barometrical admeasurement gave only 891 feet.}

{5 Headrick affirms the existence of and describes this cave. See 'View,' p. 80.}

{6 Fiona means fair-haired; Gael was added to denote his race or nation. Highlanders seldom apply the epithet Gael to Fioun, unless you express doubts concerning his extraction. But they often characterize him by the surname of MacCoul, the name of his father.—Headrick,}

 

 

 

 

 

Notice: Undefined index: manage in C:\xampp\htdocs\ntsayrshire\Gazatteer\Arran.html on line 568