An article from

'The Topographical, Statistical, and Historical Gazetteer of Scotland'

Published by A.Fullarton and Co. - 1848

Barr

BARR, a very large parish in the district of Carrick in Ayrshire; bounded on the north by Dailly parish; on the east by Straiten; on the south by Kirkcudbrightshire and the parish of Colmonell; and on the west by Colmonell and Girvan parishes, which interpose between it and the Irish channel. Its superficies is estimated by Aiton at 50,000 Scots acres, being 1,000 acres more than that of Ballantrae, which is the second parish in Ayrshire in point of extent. In the new Statistical account, published in 1837, its area is stated to be about 100 square miles, or 64,000 imperial acres. It is a rude moorland district, of which not above a fiftieth part is under cultivation, and not as much more cultivable. The Ardstinchar rises in it and flows through it from north-east to south-west between two high ranges of hills. The principal lines of road which intersect it are the old and new roads to Ayr; the former running up the dale of the Minnock water from south to north, on the eastern side of the parish; the latter branching off in a north-east direction from the former, at Rowantree. The new Statistical report states, that some of the mountains on the banks of the Minnock attain an elevation of 2,700 feet. Another road branches off from the Ayr road shortly after its entrance into the parish, and runs north-west to the kirktown of Barr. The third stream in this parish is the Muck water, which rises among the hills to the south of Barr, and flows in a direction parallel to the Stinchar, to its confluence with the Dusk in the parish of Colmonell. There are a few small lochs, and several extensive morasses. The village of Barr, which is situated on the south side of the Stinchar, at the confluence of the Gregg water with that river, has a population of about 250. An annual fair is held in this parish on the last Saturday of May, at Kirk Dominę, a name given to the ruins of an ancient Roman Catholic chapel which still exist here, about a mile to the south-west of the church. Population, in 1801, 742; in 1831, 941. Houses 175.Assessed property £5,115. - This parish, formerly avicarage, is in the presbytery of Ayr, and synod of Glasgow and Ayr. It was disjoined in 1653 from the parishes of Girvan and Dailly. Patron, the Crown. Stipend £231 3s. 1d., with a manse, and a glebe of the value of £18. Unappropriated teinds £154. Church built above a century ago, and repaired in 1834; sittings 410. Schoolmaster's salary £34 4s. 4½d., with £18 fees, and other emoluments. There were 3 private schools in 1834.

 

 

 

Notice: Undefined index: manage in C:\xampp\htdocs\ntsayrshire\Gazatteer\Barr.html on line 105