An article from

'The Topographical, Statistical, and Historical Gazetteer of Scotland'

Published by A.Fullarton and Co. - 1848

Coylton

COYLTON, or Coylston, a parish in the district of Kyle, Ayrshire. It is bounded on the north by the parish of Ayr; on the east by Ochil; on the south by Dalrymple; and on the west by Dalrymple and Ayr. It stretches from the Doon to Ayr water; and is 7 miles in length, and about 2 in average breadth. Its surface is in general flat; though, at one point toward the south, it rises to a gentle elevation. The holms near the rivers Ayr and Coyl are fertile and dry, and most other parts of the parish have a clayey and productive soil. Coal, lime, and marl are abundant. Coyl water traverses the district from south-east to north-west, and falls into the Ayr. There are three lakes, the largest of which, Martnahaim, is a mile in length. The parish, and the stream which intersects it, are said, by tradition, to derive their name from a fabulous king, called Coilus, or Coil, who is reported to have been slain in battle, at Coylesfield, 5 miles south of Coylston, and buried at the parish-church. A large stone is still regarded as monumental of 'Auld King Coil.' There are, in this parish, several small villages, - thechief of which, Coylston, stands on Coyl water. Population, in 1801, 848; in 1831, 1,389. Houses 222. Assessed property, in 1815, 7,144. The parish, formerly a prebend, is in the presbytery of Ayr, and synod of Glasgow and Ayr. Patron, the Crown. Stipend 254 8s. 4d.; glebe 12. Schoolmaster's salary 30, with about 30 additional emoluments. There are 3 other schools.

 

 

 

 

 

Notice: Undefined index: manage in C:\xampp\htdocs\ntsayrshire\Gazatteer\Coylton.html on line 92