An article from

'The Topographical, Statistical, and Historical Gazetteer of Scotland'

Published by A.Fullarton and Co. - 1848

Craigie

CRAIGIE, a parish in the district of Kyle, Ayrshire, to the north-west of Ayr. It is somewhat of a triangular figure, and is bounded on the north by the parishes of Dundonald and Riccarton; on the east by the parishes of Galston and Mauchline; on the south-east by the parish of Tarbolton; and on west by the parishes of Monkton and Symington. Its extreme length is 7 miles, and its average breadth 1 mile. Most of the surface is level, arable, fertile, and well-enclosed. The eminences are not high, and afford fine pasturage. From a hill 500 feet above the level of the sea, a spectator looks round on a richly cultivated beautiful expanse of 100 square miles, and sees Benlomond, and several of the Grampians, raising their lofty summits toward the north, and the ridges of Jura serrating the horizon on the west, and the hills of Ireland dimly merging from the sea on the south. Coal is worked, and limestone abounds. Much attention is paid to the dairy. The chief antiquity is the ruins of the old castle of Craigie. Population, in 1801, 786; in 1831, 824. Houses 123. Assessed property, in 1815, 8,511. - Craigie, formerly a vicarage, is in the presbytery of Ayr, and synod of Glasgow and Ayr. Patron, Campbell of Craigie. Stipend 247 7s. 10d. Unappropriated teinds 360 4s. 1d. Schoolmaster's salary 34 4s. 4d., with 18 school-fees. There is a school not parochial. Craigie includes part of the suppressed parish of Barnwell.
 

 

 

 

 

Notice: Undefined index: manage in C:\xampp\htdocs\ntsayrshire\Gazatteer\Craigie.html on line 91