An article from

'The Topographical, Statistical, and Historical Gazetteer of Scotland'

Published by A.Fullarton and Co. - 1848

The River Girvan

GIRVAN (The), a river of Carrick, Ayrshire. It rises in the small lakes, Loch-Brecbowie and Loch-Breelon, in the parish of Straiton, 3 miles west of Loch-Doon. After issuing from the latter of the two lochlets, it flows 2 miles northward, and 2 miles westward, receiving in its progress, the tributes of Tairlour-burn from the south, nearly equal in volume to itself, and a smaller brook from the north. Resuming its northerly course, it receives two tributaries from the west, and flows 2 miles onward to Straiton, making a graceful bend opposite the village. Hither-to, its collateral scenery is wild and cheerless: but now it careers away toward wooded, undulating, and delightfally varied banks, and, all the way onward to the sea, smiles and exults amidst the beauties of landscape. Leaving Straiton, it pursues a sinuous course 3 miles north-westward to the village of Kirkmichael, frolicking along the fine demesne of Blairquhan, the seat of Sir David Hunter Blair, and at one place wheeling round upon its path so as to form a considerable islet. From Kirkmichael to a point opposite the farm-stead of Barklai, it achieves a distance of 1 mile westward, over a south-westward, westward, north-eastward and north-westward course of picturesqueness and loveliness of scenery. From this point to the sea at the town of Girvan, over a sinuous course of 13 miles, it runs, in general, toward the southwest, performing many a beautiful evolution, seeming to run mirthfully round peninsulas and rising grounds, to enjoy the richest adornings ot bank, and nowhere receiving larger tributes than the waters of little brooks. A mile below Barklai, it flows past the neat and cheerful village of Crosshill; and while passing along the fine vale of Dailly parish, it enlivens the aspect of the mansions and demesnes of Drumburl, Dalquharran, Balgany, and Kellochan. Dalquharran castle, in particular, receives from it much enrichment of landscape, and repays with interest all it receives. This elegant pile, castellated at the angles, and buttressed all the way up, and finally surmounted by a capacious circular tower, was built about the year 1790, and is one of the handsomest mansions in the west of Scotland. The Girvan's entire length of course, including windings, is about 25 miles.  

 

 

 

 

Notice: Undefined index: manage in C:\xampp\htdocs\ntsayrshire\Gazatteer\GirvanRiver.html on line 71