An article from

'The Topographical, Statistical, and Historical Gazetteer of Scotland'

Published by A.Fullarton and Co. - 1848

Parish of Kilbride

KILBRIDE, a parish in the county of Bute, and isle of Arran, extending 14 miles in length, and 7 in breadth; and comprehending the east and north-east parts of the island, from Drippin on the south to the Cock on the north. A ridge of mountains separates it on the west from the parish of Kilmorie. It varies in breadth from 2 to 4 miles; and has a superficial area of about 42,000 imperial acres, of which about 4,000 are under cultivation. The soil is hard and stony, but, upon the whole, tolerably productive. There are two safe harbours in this district, viz. LOCH-RANZA and LAMLASH: see these articles, and the general article ARRAN. In the mountain of Goatfield, or Goatfell [see ARRAN], in this parish, are found topazes or cairngorms of a dark brown colour, beryls, and other precious stones. There are several quarries of freestone and limestone, and many places strongly indicate coal. Freestone, slate, and blind-coal, are found at the northern extremity. Barytes is quarried in GLENSANNOX:
 

 

 

 

Notice: Undefined index: manage in C:\xampp\htdocs\ntsayrshire\Gazatteer\KilbrideParish.html on line 83