An article from

'The Topographical, Statistical, and Historical Gazetteer of Scotland'

Published by A.Fullarton and Co. - 1848

Kyle

KYLE, the middle district, anciently the middle bailiewick, of Ayrshire. It is bounded on the north by the river Irvine, which divides it from Cunningham; on the north-east by Lanarkshire; on the east by Dumfries-shire; on the south by Kirkcudbrightshire; on the south-west by the river Doon, which divides it from Carrick; and on the west by the frith of Clyde. The river Ayr rising on its eastern boundary, and traversing it westward to the Clyde, divides it into Kyle-Stewart on the north, and King's-Kyle on the south. Its chief streams, additional to the Ayr, are the Coyl and the Luggar, tributaries of that river, —the Cessnock, a tributary of the Irvine, —and the Nith, which drains its southeast corner, and passes into Dumfries-shire. Its quoad civilia parishes are Dundonald, Riccarton, Galston, Craigie, Symington, Mauchline, Sorn, Muirkirk, Monkton, Tarbolton, Newton, St. Quivox, Stair, Auchinleck, Ayr, Coylton, Ochiltree, Old Cumnock, New Cumnock, Dalrymple, and Dalmellingtbn, —all in the presbytery of Ayr. Total population, in 1831,56,066; inhabited houses 7,554; families 11,435; families employed in agriculture 2,228; families employed in trade, manufactures, and handicrafts 5,353. For other particulars, see article Ayrshire.
 

 

  


Notice: Undefined index: manage in C:\xampp\htdocs\ntsayrshire\Gazatteer\Kyle.html on line 90