An article from

'The Topographical, Statistical, and Historical Gazetteer of Scotland'

Published by A.Fullarton and Co. - 1848

Patna

PATNA, a village and a quoad sacra parish in Ayrshire. The village stands on the left bank of the Doon, and on the road between Ayr and Dumfries, 10 miles south-east of Ayr, 7 east of Maybole, and in the north corner of the parish of Straiton. Its houses lie almost as aspersedly among the fields as a handful of sown corn does among the clods. The landscape around it is confined, tumulated, and bleak. The working of coal and limestone, both of which abound in the neighbourhood, gives employment to the inhabitants. Population 236. The quoad sacra parish comprehends pendicles of no fewer than six parishes, —Straiton, Kirkmichael, Dalmellington, Ochiltree, Coylton, and Dalrymple; and has a population of about 630. The church was built in 1837. An United Secession meeting-house was built in 1838, and a neat manse for its minister in 1840. Both places of worship are situated in the village, and are neat but very small. There is in the village an endowed school.  

 

 

 

 

Notice: Undefined index: manage in C:\xampp\htdocs\ntsayrshire\Gazatteer\Patna.html on line 84