An article from

'The Topographical, Statistical, and Historical Gazetteer of Scotland'

Published by A.Fullarton and Co. - 1848

Priesthill

PRIESTHILL, a hamlet in the parish of Muirkirk, Ayrshire, a few miles north-east of the village of Muirkirk. It is in the midst of a wild solitude, environed by hills covered with heath, which give it the appearance of a spacious amphitheatre. A green sloping bank faces the south, with a mountain-stream silently winding along its bottom. Here, to the east, stood the hospitable mansion of the celebrated John Brown, which was ever open to the benighted stranger, and often a happy asylum to the persecuted saint. Nothing but its vestiges now remain. The grave of this good man is about forty yards to the west. It is covered with a large massy stone. Around its margin there is a prose description, which encloses an acrostic in the centre. A little farther onward to the west, tradition points to the hallowed spot where this good man calmly uttered his departing prayer, fondly embraced his wife and children, and with holy resignation breathed his last on the 1st of May, 1685, shot by the bloody Graham of Claverhouse -a man whose name cannot be held in too great detestation by every true -hearted Scot.

 

 

 

 

Notice: Undefined index: manage in C:\xampp\htdocs\ntsayrshire\Gazatteer\Priesthill.html on line 91