An article from

'The Topographical, Statistical, and Historical Gazetteer of Scotland'

Published by A.Fullarton and Co. - 1848

Priestwick

PRIESTWICK, an ancient parish, now united to the parish of Monktown in Ayrshire. The church still remains, and serves as a landmark for vessels navigating the frith of Clyde. This is a very ancient burgh-of barony, and by its charter —which was renewed and confirmed by James VI. at Holyrood, on the 19th of June, 1600 —it is empowered to elect annually a provost, and two bailies, with councillors; to grant franchises for several trades; and to hold a weekly market, and a fair on the 6th of November; but most of these privileges are fallen into disuse. It was the head burgh-of-barony of the bailiery of Kyle-Stewart.

 

 

 

 

Notice: Undefined index: manage in C:\xampp\htdocs\ntsayrshire\Gazatteer\Priestwick.html on line 82