'Antiquities of Scotland' Index

Dalquharran Castle

 

In Mr. McFarlan's collection, in the Advocate's library, Edinburgh, there is the following description of this castle: " The stately castle of Dolquharran, the building whereof is much improved, by the addition lately made thereto, which makes it by very far the best house in all that country, surrounded with vast inclosures of wood, that the country is not able to consume it, by their building and other instruments; and among them be oak trees of a considerable size, both for height and breadth, that will serve either for joist or roof of a good house." This castle at present consists of an old tower or fortalice, to which is joined a more modern house; probably the addition above-mentioned, from the figures over the door, was made in the year 1679. It is bounded by the garden on one side, and on the other by the water of Girvan. On the old tower are escutcheons of the arms of Kennedy, and another coat, seemingly that of Stewart, but much defaced by age ; over the entrance are also some armorial bearings. From the battlements of the tower there is a fine prospect, the river winding under the eye, through a well-wooded valley. This venerable building is the property of Thomas Kennedy, of Dunure, Esq. for whom Mr. Adams is erecting a handsome house, of the castellated form, in the adjacent demesnes. THIS view was drawn A. D. 1789.

   

  


Notice: Undefined index: manage in C:\xampp\htdocs\ntsayrshire\Grose-DalquharranCastle.html on line 108