'Antiquities of Scotland' Index
This castle is most delightfully situated on a
lofty and well wooded rocky terrace, overlooking the water of Ayr. The
building, though inhabited, having been lately repaired, sees at least
as old as the beginning of the fifteenth century. It was formerly a
seat of the Earls of Loudoun. An old lady of that family died there a
few years ago, aged ninety-nine. At present it is in the possession
of Tenant, Esq. This view was drawn A.D. 1789.