In 1958 the NTS accepted Brodick Castle in
lieu of estate duty. A public appeal was launched and £10,000
realised. Lady Jean Fforde added her own gift to the Trust of 7000
acres which includes Goat Fell and Glen Rosa.
Brodick's position was developed as a fort by
the Vikings before it belonged to the Macdonalds, Lords of the Isles.
It was at Brodick the King Robert the Bruce, in 1306, rallied his
followers and waited for the signal at Turnberry to begin his
re-conquest of Scotland. It was twice sacked by the English and in
covenanting times twice occupied by the Campbells.
Brodick's long connection with the Hamilton
family when James, 2nd lord Hamilton whose father had married the
sister of King James III, came thus into the earldom of Arran. In
1652, following the death of the 2nd earl of Hamilton at Worchester a
detachment of Cromwellian troops was sent to occupy the castle which
was one of four in Scotland still holding out for Charles II. With the
restoration, Brodick entered on three centuries of more peaceful