Robert Adam converted the tower house at
Culzean (built in the 1400s) into an elegant residence for David
Kennedy, 10th Earl of Cassillis, between 1777and 1792.
It had been known as Coif Castle or the House
of the Cove taking its name from the caves below. These are presently
being examined by the Trust's archaeologists as you might have seen on
the TV documentary.
The recorded history of Culzean starts in
1569 when Sir Thomas Kennedy was given the Culzean estates by his
brother the 4th Earl of Cassillis. He began enlarging the house in
1590. As times became more peaceful Culzean became more of a family
What can be seen at Culzean to-day is a
result of this history and its association with the Kennedy family,
Robert Adam and many years of careful restoration by the National
Trust for Scotland.
Because of the eminence of Robert Adam's
work, the NTS focused on the Adam elements of Culzean to the exclusion
of the contribution made by the many members of the Kennedy family.
Recent research, notably by Eilien Harris, and Professor Michael
Moss's research for his book on Culzean pub in 2002, clarified the
Adam renewal work of the 3rd Marquis. So a new master plan for Culzean
has been implemented aiming to reflect how Culzean has evolved over
the centuries. These studies show how this has changed even the
placing of paintings, etc. at Culzean to-day.
The lovely new guide book (£4-95p) is a mine
of up-to-date information and very good value.