Overview

Inside the Castle

The Outbuildings

Formal Gardens

The Country Park

Activities

Inside Culzean Castle

A view inside the Blue Room:
The painting on the left over the fireplace is of Sir Thomas Kennedy, 9th Earl of Cassilis, painted by William Mossman in 1746. The 9th Earl is known as the 'improving Earl'. In 1762 he succeeded to the title of 9th Earl of Cassilis on the death of his father. He undertook the first major repairs and renovations to develop Culzean into a comfortable castle. He died in 1775.


This painting is by Gavin Hamilton and shows Susannah (1689-1780), Countess of Eglinton, who was the third wife of Alexander, the 9th Earl of Eglinton. She was the daughter of Archibald 'the wicked' of Culzean, a noted beauty, and lived to be 90 years old.
 


Painting of Napleon by Robert Lefvre (French painter, 1775-1830) which was acquired by Archibald, 12th Earl of Cassillis and 1st Marquess of Ailsa.
 


Rehanging Napoleon's painting


Removing the chandelier for cleaning.
 


The chandelier pieces laid out for cleaning. Don't knock that table!


The Ailsa room formerly the Benefactors room.
 


The staircase at the heart of the castle. This was designed and built after the sections around it, so instead of the classic round staircase Robert Adam used this beautiful oval design.

This photograph was taken during the 'Christmas at Culzean' Sundays when mulled wine is served to visitors. Check out our programme for dates and come along!


The kitchen, recently restored by the Trust.


The kitchen, laid out for preparing a feast!


Ready for action in the kitchen!

 

 

 


Notice: Undefined index: manage in C:\xampp\htdocs\ntsayrshire\HistInt-NTSCulzeanInside.html on line 191